Re-connect to Your Spirit!

by bevbarnes on August 10, 2011

I’ve been disconnected from my spirit lately. I didn’t realize it until last night. I   knew something wasn’t right. For the last several weeks I’ve had a whole range of symptoms, messages from my body, my emotions and my behaviours telling me I was disconnected, but I didn’t get it.

I’ve had hip pain, trouble sleeping, feelings of frustration and discontent and indecision about what to do next in my biz. Exercise dropped off my to-do list and I’ve been snacking when I’m not hungry.

I didn’t realize that I was getting signals that I needed to decode. Each signal in turn, was telling me to that I was disconnected from my spirit. It finally all clicked last night as I was reading Sonia Choquette’s The Power of the Spirit: A guide to joyful living. I had a moment of clarity and realized that I was once again trying to run my life with my mind and not my heart.

If you are struggling with something and unable to make a decision, maybe you have disconnected from your spirit as I was. Here’s what I did to re-connect.

1. Decide to re-connect. I decided to make an intention last night before I went to bed. I decided to re-connect to my spirit. I decided that I would only do what I knew felt right and stop telling myself about what I “should” be doing. I decided to let my heart guide me not my thoughts. My thinking was keeping me up at night. I knew it wasn’t working.

2. Notice your personal symptoms of disconnect. Everyone has a sure fire indicator that they are disconnected from their spirit. My first symptom is emotional- an angst or frustration. Then all the other things I described above kick in. To find your disconnect symptoms, question yourself. What are you feeling physically? Emotionally? How is your sleep? What is going in your mind? Has your eating or exercise changed? Are you struggling with a decision?

3. Acknowledge that you are disconnected from your spirit. This is a huge step. You aren’t just having disparate symptoms. Your body is telling you that something is off. Your mind will try to tell you that you just haven’t found the right solution to your problem yet. It wants to keep running possibilities but none of those possibilities will stick if you are disconnected from your spirit. If you believe what your mind tells you, your will stay stuck.
When you are living in alignment with your calling, as I am (most of the time) it is your spirit that runs the show, not your mind. You feel your spirit through your heart. When you start to struggle, your mind has snuck back in trying to take the lead away from your heart.

4. Do something that helps you to connect to your spirit. I connect to my spirit by walking alone outside. I went for a long brisk walk by myself.

5. Expect your mind to resist. On my walk, my mind tried to take over for the first 15 minutes. Here is a sample of my thinking:

My feet are uncomfortable.
I’m cold. I should have worn a jacket.
My ankles hurt.
I still have that pain in my hip.
It’s getting hot.
I should have put sunscreen on. (Yes, Black people need sunscreen).
These shorts feel a little tight.
Do I look fat from behind?
This whole walk is going to be uncomfortable.

6. Keep going anyway. It will change. I kept walking. 25 minutes passed. My thoughts shifted direction, like I knew they would.

Wow the sky is so blue.
Look at those white puffy clouds.
Everything is so green.
What gorgeous purple wildflowers.
The air smells amazing.
This is incredible.
The wind feels heavenly.
The sun is glorious. I’m just going to close my eyes and feel it on my face.

7. Connect to your body and the present moment. Forty minutes into the walk, I had detached from my mind and I was in the moment, feeling the sensations of breathing and movement on a glorious mid-summer morning. I slipped deeply into the sensations of being just where I was.

8. Expect an insight. At that moment I had a download from the universe. This was a fully formed piece of information just for me about what my next biz step was to be. It wasn’t what I was expecting. It’s not a class – what my mind was trying to come up with. This was my insight:

Create something easy, useful and cheap for people who want to do something every day to get closer to finding or living their calling.

In my download, I got details of what to include in this project. When I think of doing it and providing it to the people who need it, my heart wants to explode. It feels like love. I can’t wait to start working on it. That tells me it is the next right thing.

I was smiling about knowing what to do next when I had another download. It was also clear.

Write your blog about re-connecting to spirit and your own experiences.

Hmm. Okay.

9. Express gratitude. I started saying thank-you over and over again in my head. And then, as I was saying my tenth thank you, a bonus download! I was told how to organize the class that I’m teaching tomorrow night.

Badabing. Badaboom.

That is why you connect to spirit. Because your mind can’t lead you in the direction of your calling; your answers come from the heart. And your heart is what is connected to your spirit and to the source energy (what I call God but you can call anything you like). It’s really simple – once you realize what’s going on.

Try it. It works.

Gail Kenny August 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

You had me laughing with your first examples of your thinking! I love how you described that and then the shift in your thinking and about how all that felt and the creative hit that followed. The key is in catching ourselves, getting the messages, and then navigating to where our heart tells us from there. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bev Barnes August 10, 2011 at 6:00 pm

If I listened to my thinking I would be on a long road going nowhere 🙂 I’m glad that you were inspired and glad I was told to write about it! Thanks Gail.

Lisa Roehre August 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Perfect timing…this was exactly what I needed to read today…I’m pulling the plug on my mind. Gees, its like our mind has a mind of its own sometimes. Thank you.

Bev Barnes August 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I love that! ‘My mind has a mind of its own’. Glad it helped Lisa!

Lysanne September 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Dear Bev,
Once again, your words resonate profoundly. Why I went to your blog at this exact moment I don’t really know. All I know is that what I wrote on my own blog yesterday night (!) is on the same theme: coming to the realization that I was disconnected from my essence in the past week and that I needed to come back to it. Then I am led to you somehow and sure enough, I vibrate on your frequency. I am very grateful for you and your coaching. Thanks for sharing !
Lysanne

Bev Barnes September 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I am really glad that this resonated for you Lysanne. I’m going to check out your blog now!

rebecca @ altared spaces September 8, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Your website is the same breath of fresh air you got on your walk. Thanks for sharing YOU with the world.

Bev Barnes September 8, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Thanks Rebecca!

Annie January 4, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Hi Bev
I could really use your help. I enjoyed this blog you wrote. Today and for many many days I have felt so disconnected from my spirit that I actually feel dead. I’m very very terrified. This has happened before but I am in so deep I feel helpless.

I have struggled with depersonalization and all sorts of fragmentation and like you said the mind gets you know where. My body is in so much physical pain because it’s missing it’s “person.”

Any insight you may have would be helpful. I feel very much alone. I just lost my job not too long ago and I can guaranty that this disconnect played in to that. I feel as though I don’t exist and I don’t know how to check back in or where I am to check back in.

Thank you kindly. I am a believer as well.

Bev Barnes January 4, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Hi Annie. Thanks for writing. First the good stuff. You know what is going on. You recognize that you are disconnected from your essence. You are seeking connection with others (writing to me on my blog). Here are my suggestions:

1. Start a regular practice of connecting to your spirit. Some people do that through meditation or yoga. I do that best through physical exercise. Walking, or cardio aerobic type exercise. For me it needs to be something where I get out of my mind and into my body where I’m just focused on the physical. Try do something that raises your heartbeat for 20 minutes every day.

2. Read uplifting writing. Try Martha Beck’s new book, Finding Your Way in a Wild New World. She addresses many of the issues that you mentioned and provides exercises that you can do to connect to yourself. I’m doing a virtual book/coaching group that starts this month about that. There is more information on my site.

3. Connect to people where you live. Find people, activities, friends that you can connect to that accept you for who you are. If you don’t have any adopt a pet. I’m not being facetious.

4. Volunteer. As soon as you start helping someone you get out of yourself and start to perceive life a little differently. Since you lost your job, you probably have a lot more time than you used to. Start using it.

5. Start a gratitude journal. Every day come up with 3 things that you are grateful for and write them down. Even if the only thing you are grateful for is having coffee, that’s enough. If you continue this practice, how you see your life will eventually change.

6. Seek the help of a qualified medical professional. Talk this over with your Doctor. There may be other physical things going on, or you may need a referral to a counselor or therapist. Seek out and find the help that you need to get your life back.

Thanks for reaching out. All the best.