What You Need to Create Your Life’s Work

by bevbarnes on September 27, 2012

In order to create your life’s work, you need space.

Space in your life.

Space away from people and their emotions.

Space from things.

Space to connect to God or whatever you call her.

You need space to get ideas.

Space to get inspired.

Space lives beneath the clutter.

Space is time unfilled with obligations.

Space is time to play.

Space is time to walk or bike or hike outside.

Space is time to draw or colour or do yoga.

Space is time to breathe.

You need space to hear your inner voice, because it is always guiding you and will tell you what to create.

And then write down all that you’ve been told right away because you’ll forget.

I LOVE hearing from you. Seriously. Last week someone asked me privately if that was really true. It is!  Let me know below on the blog how you create space in your life and how you get ideas.

Marion Youngblood September 27, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Bev, This “space” thing is so true and I am so glad to see you write about it!

Each day, I intentionally create space for myself by staying away from any outside energy, like email, social media, tv,telephone calls, etc until I do two things: 1. journal and 2. tell someone that I love them! Its been amazing.

The journal piece really allows me to hear my own voice and capture what it is that I am saying. Sometimes I whisper things and sometimes, well, I scream! I get it all down, because you are right, if I don’t write it down, I forget!

The telling someone I love them piece is my way of remembering my deep connections to the important people in my life and sharing love first thing in the morning is so wonderful! I share that love by visualizing someone that I love (if they aren’t physically present to tell them face to face) and I simply send them love. You wouldn’t believe the number of times I have gotten a call or an email from the very same person on that same day! So, I certainly don’t doubt that the love I send is received!

Again, so glad you wrote on this topic. Great!

Bev Barnes September 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm

That is a fantastic practice Marion. I love how you visualize someone you love and send them love. So funny to hear that you too forget. It’s like dreaming – if you don’t capture the inspirations, they are gone. Great to hear from you!

Houkje Ross September 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Bev,
Your timing is unbelievably perfect. I sit outside for about 30 minutes each day to give myself ‘space’ for the day and to ask for guidance on anything that I feel I need help with. This morning, I came back from inside and noticed that I was feeling the need to appreciate the space I’ve given myself over the last two years to feel my way through a huge career shift. Your blog post was like the cherry on top of a sunday. Thanks for this.
Houkje

Bev Barnes September 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm

What a great practice Houkje. It is a demonstration of self-acceptance and self-love. I’m glad that the post was a little extra “cherry” for you.

Karen Hawkwood September 28, 2012 at 4:12 am

This was timely for me because I’m terrible at giving myself that space! I love taking in information, and of course it’s like “drinking from the firehose” – there is no bottom to it and I find that I let whole days go by where all I did was take in new information. I know I need time to STOP the inflow so I can digest, process, and integrate what I’ve taken in, but I am finding I have a lot of resistance to that. Having just quit my job I made a lot of space in both time and energy, but I’m not creating anything from that space because I’m filing it up with an endless flow of what other people do! I think just having written it out like this is making me more aware of it, so thank you for that as always, and I welcome any other feedback. 🙂

Bev Barnes September 28, 2012 at 11:06 am

Hi Karen. What a great observation you are having. That is the start. Ask yourself what your resistance from stopping to digest, process and integrate is protecting you from. You’ll come up with what is driving your natural love of learning into overdrive. My hunch is that “drinking from the firehose” is a “decoy” or smokescreen that helps you to avoid feeling your natural uncertainty and fear/anxiety. Tell me where I’m wrong. Ask yourself why you can’t (choose not to) stop the in-flow. You’ll come up with what is driving this, your big, hairy unnamed fear. Breathe a sigh of relief. Then listen to what you know, what resonated for you in this post, a truth that you share – that you need space right now – and allow yourself that space. Self compassion. You are wise Karen. Follow what you know is your truth and give yourself a little space to figure out what that is. I hope that helps. Thanks so much for sharing!

Pama September 29, 2012 at 4:08 am

Hi Bev,
I get my space from reading self help books, small business magazines, watching musical videos, and interviews with celebrities especially actors. This inspires me because I see the stars in their eyes when they do or talk about what they do while they are so paid for it. At all times I tell myself, I shall get there. I will be happy or I’ll die trying.
I get ideas from using this technique; I write down all my hobbies and try to look for careers that will allow me to express these interests or most of it. If non exists I create one and I share it with whoever that cares to listen.