What I Wish I’d Known When I Started an On-line Coaching Business

by bevbarnes on January 30, 2013

Post image for What I Wish I’d Known When I Started an On-line Coaching Business

Starting a soul-inspired on-line business that is the expression of your deepest passions is hard.

Not because of the technology or how quickly things change.  Not because of social media or marketing.

It’s hard because in a soul-inspired business, you put your insides on the outside.

Instead of just keeping the true YOU to yourself and a few close friends, you sail into new uncharted territories, sharing the true YOU with people you don’t know and may never meet.

People that might judge you.

Unfavourably.

You become vulnerable.  Your soft underbelly is on the outside now.

You don’t have your fake self as protection between you and the world anymore.

And even though it’s your heart’s greatest desire, it’s hard.

Especially if you’ve spent a lifetime trying not to make waves.

If you are a shy, sensitive type, then starting a soul-inspired, on-line business is personal growth on steroids.

It’ll be painful.

It’ll force you to go back and clean up all your unhealed places.

And even then it won’t be easy.

It’ll force you to really, truly believe that your gifts come through you and not from you.  If you don’t “get” that, you’ll suffer.

I promise.

Remember that –  when you don’t have many clients and you don’t have many prospects and your programs aren’t sold out and nobody knows about you….yet.

Because you are not your business

Even if it’s your deepest passion.  Even if it’s your calling.  Even if it’s your life’s work.

You have a business.  You are not your business.

Your business is a vehicle for the expression of your gifts – that come through you, not from you.

It’s not even really about YOU at all.

Remember that – when you are feeling exposed.

If you’ve been more afraid to shine than to fail, then starting an on-line business is going to rock you to your core.

Because in order to succeed you have to shine.

You can’t fade into the background.

Just sayin’.

I don’t want to discourage you, but no one told me all this.  So when I was rocked by anxiety and feeling totally unprotected and fearful, I thought something was wrong with me.

Nothing was wrong with me.

Nothing is wrong with you.

I’m telling you this so that when it happens, you’ll know.

And you won’t quit.

You won’t NOT do what your soul wants you to do.

Get ready.

You are in for quite a ride.

But it’s worth it.

I LOVE hearing from you.  Let me know below if you can relate to this post and share your how you’ve dealt with shining YOUR light.

I love supporting new Life Coaches and soul-inspired unexpected Solo-Entrepreneurs.  I know what you are going through and I can help.  Click here to set up a free 15 minute consultation with me and find out if we are a good fit.

Lynne M January 31, 2013 at 2:50 pm

WOW! Bev,

This post is AMAZING!!! It is exquisitely true & sincere.
Your words resonate within and are profoundly soothing…
Thank YOU!

Shining Your Light means Being YOU… and Being YOU is the most humbling, blissful Human experience to live! In my eyes, it is the perfect expression of the conjunction between our Divinity and our Humanity.

Humility & Compassion are two superb, indispensable allies that help us simply BE.

Abundance, Expansion & Love to all!
Lynne 😉

Bev Barnes January 31, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I’m so glad this spoke to you Lynne! Thanks for sharing.

Lauren Miranda Gilbert January 31, 2013 at 5:07 pm

This is so powerful and something I very much needed to hear, Bev. I’m going to print it out and save it… I have a feeling I will be coming back to it often to remind myself!

xxoo
Lauren Miranda

Bev Barnes January 31, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Sooo glad it helped. I was having a vulnerability hangover 🙂

Jean January 31, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Bev, you consistently point right to the heart of the matter and normalize it and show that it is workable. I am so grateful that you put your underbelly on the outside so that those of us who relate can know we are in good company. Keep on shining your brilliant light. Heartfelt bow, Jean

Bev Barnes January 31, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Right back atcha Jean.
xxoo

Briana Beveridge January 31, 2013 at 5:29 pm

What perfect timing! Thanks so much for constantly supporting me and all who read your posts. I needed to hear every compassionate word of this post as I was creeping into doubt today. My shoulders are now down where they should be.
Thank you Bev for your light, confidence, comfort and empowerment.
I am passing this along to all my friends today.

Love
Briana

Bev Barnes January 31, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Have a great day Briana. I’m really glad that you are breathing a sigh of relief.

Janelle February 1, 2013 at 12:12 am

Bev! Loved this, of course. I can relate to every point. Having a solo business like this can really bring up some pretty deep worries. Its the best path to personal growth that I’ve found! What helped me through it was having an accountability buddy – someone I could share my concerns and worries who would lift me up, and also having a whole support team of cheerleaders when I worried I wasn’t good enough. And … of course … you!

Bev Barnes February 6, 2013 at 2:03 am

I love that you recognized that you needed support and found exactly what you needed. I think that’s the secret, knowing when to ask for help. Thanks for sharing this Janelle.

Connie February 5, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Thank you for this post Bev! I LOVE LOVE the “your business is not you, it comes through you”. I have a business, but I’m the THE business… I breathed that in today and relaxed. This stuff takes time and I too agree with Janelle about it being the best path to personal growth. What I’m finding that works is with each task I take, really identifying what feels good next. Am I writing what is passionate to me, or am I just trying to put something out there for exposure? Thank you again!

Bev Barnes February 6, 2013 at 2:05 am

Thanks for sharing Connie. I love what you said about just focusing on what feels good next and really examining what your motivations are for doing things. Great to hear from you Connie.

Katherine Milla May 19, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Great post. Thanks for the soulful encouragement. Just what I needed.