How Your Life Speaks

by bevbarnes on April 30, 2013

Post image for How Your Life Speaks

We aren’t moving.  Even though I was living in our new region in my head, it didn’t work out.  Even though I visualized and imagined and planned – it didn’t happen.  I was sure that when my husband lost his job, it was a sign that we were supposed to move.  I was wrong.

At first I was really sad and ticked off about this.  I thought that I was in charge of my life, that I got to decide what to do with my life, instead of listening to what it wanted to do with me.

I mean can’t we attract what we want?  We imagine how the thing we want is going to feel.  We bring those feelings into our lives. Those feelings are like a magnet and they draw to us what we want – like nectar to a bee.

But I forgot something.

You actually have to listen to your life speaking to you.  That takes pulling together what is going on and interpreting the message that life is giving back to you. What you think you want may not be what your life has in store for you.  I’ve come up with a few indicators that tell you that what you want is not in the cards even if you’ve visualized it and hoped and imagined it.

1.  If it’s really, really, hard then it’s not in the cards.  What you want is always downstream.  If you have to paddle a boat upstream then life is telling you that it isn’t for you.

2.  If you feel like you are forcing and striving and efforting to make something happen, then life is speaking and telling you that something is wrong.  Heed the alarm.

3.  If you are ignoring a tiny, barely audible inner voice that is telling you that something is off, then it’s not in the cards.

4.  If an incredibly easy, unexpected alternative, that you never imagined that takes you in the opposite direction of what you visualized shows up then the message is clear.  Drop what you are trying and forcing to get and accept the gift you’ve received.  Life is speaking to you.

5.  If when you consider dropping what you are trying to get, you feel relief, even if you feel sad about the lost dream, then your life has spoken.

After looking at 65 houses, no kidding – we didn’t find one we felt 100% about.  The day after my husband officially started his job search  he had two job offers .  The offer he took was in our town.  This incredibly, easy, unexpected alternative was such a stark contrast to the house search that I knew that the message was clear.  My life had spoken.  It was not the time for us to move yet.

I grieved the loss of my dream and now I’m creating new dreams.  I trust in the wisdom of my life.

Has this ever happened to you?

When has you life told you something that you didn’t expect?  Let me know below on the blog. I LOVE hearing from you!

Kate May 1, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Hi Bev, I so appreciated your email “the big myth”! As a “type B” personality in my 50s, I felt great relief! Will be starting the MB program in June, and so hope you will be one of my instructors!

Bev Barnes May 1, 2013 at 6:46 pm

You are so welcome Kate. I’ll post it here on the blog, so that others who aren’t on my list can read it! Bev

Guylaine May 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Wonderful blog Bev! Yes, I remember when I was a young adult and my roommate was moving and selling her car. How I wanted her car but money was the issue. I was trying to come up with a way in my mind as to how I could buy her car. I remember the stress, the angst about it all. Like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I was definitely trying to paddle upstream. Thankfully I had a more seasoned friend, an older gentleman, say something to me that relieved me of the pain of realizing now was not the time to buy a car. He simply said there’ll be other cars.

Guylaine 🙂

Bev Barnes May 1, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for sharing your story Guylaine. It is so easy to forget that we need to listen to our lives when we are striving and trying. Nice hearing from you!

Gail Kenny May 1, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Bev, This post totally resonates with me today.

Bev Barnes May 1, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Hi Gail. Yay! I guess that’s why I wrote it. xo

Janelle May 2, 2013 at 1:51 am

Love it! As we’ve talked about I had the same thing happen for us in moving. And yes, I visualized every day about the new home that I wanted and got out all of my manifesting mojo. But it didn’t happen. And now I’m glad that it didn’t!

Paddling downstream is something that I’m still working on. Can you write more about that? Would love to know how you follow that stream. Thanks Bev!

Rose May 7, 2013 at 4:45 am

I put my house up for sale, sold it and had a closing date. Quit my job, and took another job out of state. Two weeks before the closing the buyers backed out. I lost the job out of state and had to put the house back on the market to be sold. Seemed like it was just not the right time to move at that time. I do believe it happened for a reason, like all things do happen for a reason. Some are just harder to understand than others.

Bev Barnes May 16, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Rose. We don’t know the reason why. I think that we often just need to accept what is and not fight against it. Eventually something even better turns up (in my experience) but you never know when or what that will be. I think it just comes down to trusting that life has our back! Thanks for commenting Rose.