Commit!

by bevbarnes on October 24, 2013

Post image for Commit!

I’ve been pretty well overwhelmed with gratitude over the last two weeks.

Even when it snowed here all week.  It didn’t really bother me that much.

Why?

Because I went to a Martha Beck Life Coach meeting in California last week.

At customs when they asked if I was travelling for business or pleasure I didn’t know what to say.

The truth is that this was a work trip, but it was really totally pleasure – meeting many of the Coaches that I have helped to train and co-teaching a workshop for them.

But how can being with almost a hundred smiling faces and open souls be considered business?

How can spending time having lunch with Martha Beck and her zen like son Adam be considered business?

How can co-teaching a workshop with Abigail Steidley be described as work?

How can teaching a telephone class from my hotel room and then walking along beautiful Pismo Beach be considered a working day?

The way I work has totally blown my mind; it has blown the roof off the way that I was taught that work is supposed to be.

People tell me all the time that I’m so lucky to have such a flexible schedule – to be traveling to beautiful spots, to be working with loving, open people – to share THE most vulnerable parts of someone’s life and have the opportunity to connect to the love that is inside everyone.

I’m sometimes embarrassed to tell people how amazingly satisfying my work is.  It’s not for everyone – but it’s for me.

I. AM. SO. GRATEFUL.

But it’s not luck.

It’s not happenstance.

I had to leap.  Dive in.  Commit.

This quote often attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe but actually written by William Murray explains HOW to create your life’s work.

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.

All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.  Begin it now.”

The little known truth is that all you really need to do is commit with your whole heart and soul to create that which you desire.  Once you do that, you won’t be alone.

You’ll have help. The kind of help that you can’t even dream up.  Help that tells you that you are on the right track.

God winks. Providence.

– A boss who doesn’t mind if you go back to school on work hours.

– A book that you happen upon “by chance” that leads you to your true calling.

– Running into the right person in a place you’d never expected to go to.

– Getting downsized when you know your job is killing your soul.

– Finding that log cabin that you’ve been dreaming about and it’s available.

– Receiving a surprise cheque that covers the exact cost of the training that you thought you couldn’t afford.

– Finding out that your words have guided someone else’s life – you don’t remember saying them.

– Noticing one lone swan on a river in a place where swans never go – just at the moment when you are wondering if you dare to stand out.

Magic happens.

Intend, commit, decide to create what your heart is yearning for.

No.  Matter.  What.

It means that there isn’t a plan B.  There is only a plan A.

Here’s my clarity tip:  Set an unwavering intention to follow joy.

That’s what I did.  I knew that this MUST lead to your mission in life.  How could it not?  Nothing else made sense to me.

Following your joy is harder than it seems, so you probably won’t be perfect at it.  Every time you do something to please “everyone” but it doesn’t please you, you fall off track.  Every time you ignore boredom and angst you are off track.  Every time you hesitate moving forward and question whether you are “enough” to do the thing that feels the most joyful, you are off track.

I’ve learned however that Providence wants you to “get” it so even when you veer off track, you always get many more chances.

And if you keep following joy you’ll get there.  You’ll discover that you are living the life that was meant for you, doing the work that humbles you and fills you with gratitude.

Luck isn’t how it happens.

It happens because you decide it will, believe it can and commit to doing it.

Are you committed?

I love hearing from you.  What God winks have you had?  How has Providence showed up in your life?  Share your experiences below on the blog.

Stacie October 24, 2013 at 11:18 am

“Set an unwavering intention to follow joy.” I really love this, Bev. Beautiful words.
I find that when I commit to following my joy even on a small scale, the Universe meets me, more than halfway. And yet I still need these reminders!
So thank you 🙂
Setting a new paradigm for how business can be (and IS) done is changing the world, as our businesses are reflections of our lives as a whole.
Your article brought this up for me, so just wanted to share it!
Thanks for following your joy and inspiring others to do the same..
xx

bevbarnes October 24, 2013 at 12:26 pm

You are welcome Stacie. Thanks for jumping on to the blog!

Kati October 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Wow, I really needed this this morning. Thank you! It is indeed amazing how heaven and earth seem to move for us when we’re really going after what we want.

Tari Heap October 24, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Hi Bev,

About 30 years ago this same quote rocked my world because it was so reflective of what was happening for me at the time (my first true North Star). I was meditating this morning and I got to put this same quote on my vision board today. When I came out and read your blog I was tickled! Partly because of the quote but also because I’m envisioning the same life circumstance you’ve just described. That is my dream life! See you today in Coaching Cocoon !
So excited!
XOXO Tari

bevbarnes October 24, 2013 at 1:09 pm

God winks! LOVE this Tari.

clare October 24, 2013 at 1:17 pm

So powerful, Bev’s comments are the icing on the cake to a week where I committed to believing all things are possible. Life is lovely…and should be for all.
Thank you, Bev and thanks to life coach Simone Goudreau who worked with me and my life is softer and sweeter ever since. Again, very powerful.

bevbarnes October 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Clare, I love Simone Goudreau too. I’m really happy for you. Thanks for commenting!

Cheryl Brown October 24, 2013 at 1:35 pm

This is a tough one for me to read because I tend to be flaky and not commit. I feel like I should have some sort of goal to reach for and I don’t. There is nothing that jumps out at me and says “I must do that!” I think the hardest thing is to be content in a culture that says I need to have some sort of bright star I’m in the process of trying to reach. My husband used to own an insurance agency and I used to own a salon. I sold my business years ago and he lost his biggest contract and works from home now. It’s weird because I think we’re both happier without the hoopla and it has surprised us both. We wake up when we feel like it, go to bed when we feel like it and our bills are paid. Is it wrong to just float?

bevbarnes October 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Hi Cheryl. Great comment and question! You don’t have to reach for something. It is exactly the opposite. You just need to make an unwavering commitment to follow joy. It sounds like selling the business and losing the contract was Providence for you both – lead you to more happiness and authentic joy. It sounds like disbelieving that ‘You need to have some sort of bright star’ is exactly what led you both to more joy. Tell me where I’m wrong. My hunch is that now you are getting in touch with what real joy is for you and all you need to do is follow that. Joy is not what our culture tells you it is. It’s what “feels” the best for YOU. You’ve said that “floating” feels good – that means it’s “right” for you. You have nothing to prove to anyone – including me 🙂

Cheryl the truth is I feel like I’m floating in my work. I’m not striving or reaching for something. I’m just doing what feels natural for me. I think that’s what joy feels like.

Cheryl Brown October 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm

So glad you said that. I feel like a mutant sometimes. I don’t care about facebook, tweeting, or reality TV. I’m not political either. My husband and I used to be big “producers” and it became so high pressured that we actually turned down a free trip to an all inclusive resort in the south Pacific last year because we didn’t want to hang out with all the type “A” personalities. Major insurance companies have given us free trips all over the world and I am grateful beyond what you can imagine because I love to travel, but sometimes it’s a lot cheaper to pay for your own trip, if that makes any sense.